Ads

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Insecure Writer's Support Group - Hug me, it's Wednesday!




The first Wednesday of the month is Insecure Writer's Support Group Hug Day - it couldn't have come at a better time!

I need a hug - really. I'm so torn up about the revisions to my first book, I'm ready to flush the whole damn thing. I think it's a good story - I've been told it's a good story, but I just can't seem to do anything with it. I know the changes I need to make, but it's gotten where the whole damn thing just irritates the crap out of me.

It's not the rejections - I can deal with those. It's the fact that I've lost the voice, the feel for the main character and I can't seem to get it back. I feel all:



whenever I start working on it again. 

I realize this is a common affliction amongst the IWG. In fact, it's pretty common among all us writerly type people. I read a blog post the other day by FizzyGirl (aka Summer) that pretty well summed up the whole experience. You should read it - it really defines how I'm feeling. Yes, click on the bright red "FizzyGirl" above. 

So, what I've decided to do is just put that first book aside for a while. The second book is out at a few agents and publishers, and I'm going to send it to a bunch more this weekend, which will at least make me feel semi-productive. And I'm going to work on the my other two WIPs - they are totally different from each other, as well as my earlier books, and they're a lot more fun to write as well. 

They have unique voices that I really relate to (lot's of drinking and cussing in one, lot's of crazy, unbounded imaginative shit in the other) and they make me smile when I read them or work on them. 

But first, I'm heading over to FizzyGirl's for a snergle. 


4 comments:

  1. Huge HUG!!!

    Yes, its pretty common, but dammit its a strong feeling and it can really bring us down. Another hug!

    Running over to FizzyGirl's link ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~HUG~

    Hey is is okay we have all been here. Besides you did the best thing, stepped away. Sometimes we just need time away also sometimes, our first book is there just so we can get to our second book. Always remember to keep going, that is the single most important thing you can do as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Brandon. Thanks for the perspective!

      Delete